Long exposure of monks in Sihanoukville, Cambodia, March, 2014.
San Francisco, CA 94114
Director of Network Strategy 2008 to 2011
Roots of Change http://www.rootsofchange.org
Led online campaigns, email and social media communication, and a website rebuild, while greatly increasing the size and activity level of the network.
- Grew the Roots of Change (ROC) community from 1,000 to over 55,000 and analyzed metrics on a quarterly basis.
- Led the redesign and rebuilding of the ROC website http://www.rootsofchange.org to showcase ROC’s community, and increased website visits 500%.
- Planned and led the creation of the communication system that generated 50 annual emails (up from 10) and 900 annual Facebook/Twitter posts. Managed the move from Salesforce to Salsa.
- Planned and led the execution of ROC’s social media strategy. Created and led promotion of ROC’s Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/rootsofchange which triggered 1,600 comments per month. Also led the launch of ROC’s Twitter channel http://twitter.com/RootsofChange and YouTube site http://bit.ly/9j2l52. Planned and led the production of email round-ups of the most popular Facebook posts and increased the number of links and click-throughs to 100,000 per quarter.
- Planned the campaign strategy and led the launch of five online campaigns, including the Food Declaration http://fooddeclaration.org/and the Jerry Brown petition http://bit.ly/gV81gI, which included collaboration with nine non-profit organizations and an email acquisition contract with Change.org. Led the creation of a 3-minute call-to-action video to connect viewers with national food and farming organizations - (email for url). Designed the canvassing plan for Food Declaration endorsements at Slow Food Nation 2008 and managed volunteer canvassing at the Green Festival.
- Organized 35 key food and farming representatives to attend five meetings for the Strategic Mapping Project - http://bit.ly/gbrljk.
- Publicized three conferences hosted by ROC: Changemakers Day at Slow Food Nation, 2008: http://bit.ly/eBOUp6, West Coast Direct Farm Marketing Summit, 2009: http://bit.ly/hpKVmZ, and the Roots of Change Network Summit, 2010: http://bit.ly/h9a2zy.
- Organized the 2008 Fellows Program and managed three $10,000 awards for collaboration.
- Managed two employees and four interns. Managed a 1.5 million budget and 30 contracts including the eight partners of the California Farmers Market Consortium - http://bit.ly/gLtpwE.
Community Manger 2005 to 2008
Omidyar Network http://www.omidyar.com
Supported collaboration among 19,000 individuals and 400 groups on omidyar.net in support of the idea that “everyone has the power to make a difference” and conducted funding research using network mapping software.
- Synthesized observations from the community, including new groups, new discussions, key participants, and emergent behaviors. Designed and generated a weekly chart of key member metrics using Omniture web analytic tools and presented to Executive Producer.
- Communicated the values of Omidyar Network through forum moderation, on-line discussions and one-to-one messages. Responsible for representing the organization to all members of the online community to manage image and reputation.
- Coordinated development of new tools that improved group communication and tagging of data.
- Led development, implementation, and management of a program that empowered 135 members in six teams to nominate, rate, and collectively select 30 non-profits for $90,000 of funding.
- Awarded grants of $5,000 to $25,000 to support collaborating organizations and an international conference in Uganda.
- Identified the links between key organizations in microfinance and property rights focus areas using network mapping software. Resulted in the creation of five sets of maps that identified potential investment opportunities and co-funders.
Conferences and training:
- NetSquared 2006: http://bit.ly/gcL45V, panelist 2007: http://bit.ly/hbr8zY, and Advocate 2008: http://bit.ly/kP56Ty
- Online Community Unconference: http://bit.ly/mJ88bO
- Online Community Summit, 2006 and 2007: http://bit.ly/ekE0i0
- Online Community Camp, 2006: http://bit.ly/kECLxT
- Omidyar.net member conference in Chicago, 2006
- Three-day class in Group Facilitation Skills, 2007
Community Manager 2002 to 2005
Linden Lab – Second Life http://lindenlab.com
Led development, implementation, and management of a wide range of programs in the on-line community Second Life to help grow the active membership from 500 to 25,000.
- Supervised a team of one in-house and six remotely located staff members as part of the Liaison Program.
- Developed and managed a program offering in-world currency to event hosts, which triggered an increase from 20 to 1,000 events per week.
- Designed and managed the Instructors program, which offered classes in Second Life skills, and a volunteer mentor program to provide orientation support.
- Designed and led the development of a program which allowed new users to select in-world guides from the website before logging in. Managed “Live Help,” a program in which volunteers answered questions via IM.
- Established player-run communities dedicated to a particular theme, including “Burning Life,” a creative expo modeled after the Burning Man festival, and “Linden World,” where dozens of residents contributed rides and attractions to an amusement park.
- Initiated and managed the Game Developers Competition, in which seven teams created new games within Second Life for US$ prizes.
- Conducted interviews with members in world, via phone conferences, and in person. Synthesized research findings to compile weekly summaries of emergent behavior and presented to CEO and VP of Marketing.
B.A. in Communications, Stanford University